Monday, August 31, 2009

Night-Weaning: Night Six

The night-weaning part is getting easier. Ari is no longer asking to nurse, trying to latch on, or crying for extended periods of time each time she wakes up. She is, however, needing a fair bit of time to go back to sleep, often 45 minutes to an hour. Ari still wants to hold onto my nipple. Lately, she also wants to fall asleep with her head on my arm. I love cuddling with her. I really do. But it means I sleep like crap and I end up hurting. I hope we can find a way that works for everyone. What I really want is for Ari to be happy sleeping near me, not on me, and for our next bed to be a king-size! Oops, the husband had not heard that yet!

Back to last night, Ari woke up three times. That made the night hard on me, along with the horrible toothache I had.

It feels like now we are ready to tackle the next big thing: the many night wakings. Night wakings are normal. We just need to help her develop ways to put herself back to sleep. It won't be easy, but I am feeling like if we got through night-weaning, we can do this.

2 comments:

  1. Kids are really weird like that, aren't they? The Boy absolutely NEEDS to feel belly skin when he's cuddling. He'll pull your shirt up a little bit and rub his hand on your belly, or rub a foot on your belly. I'm not sure why - warmth of the skin, probably. Then again, he'll also only snuggle with me while sitting / lying on my right side, but will only put his head on my shoulder while I'm standing when he's on my left side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are doing great mama! One step at a time, right? :)

    ReplyDelete