Thursday, August 6, 2009

News from Red Cross

I just got a letter saying that my platelet count is higher than the average count and that I could donate platelets up to 24 times a year. The process is time-consuming, 2 hours. I want to and will make it work, though. I can't wait! I could potentially give platelets every two weeks. How cool is that?! Oh, I can continue donating whole blood too. So, if I get my way, I will donate blood every three months (I always need the extra 4 weeks for my iron level to be high enough) and platelets every two weeks or so.

3 comments:

  1. Again, I have to say that I'm really grateful to hear this.

    I have never given platelets before but I also haven't been told that I could give so frequently.

    I also need to find out exactly how long before I am able to donate after having a baby.

    I definitely don't want to directly donate to David because if I do that, it would preclude my giving him a kidney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out this link to learn about donating postpartum:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/blood.html

    Moral of the story: it is up to you. Some say 6 weeks postpartum. Some say 6 months. Others say not at all.

    I have a special place in my heart for your son and I think every time I do this I'll be thinking of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! you are totally inspiring me!!! It's amazing you can do platelets!

    ReplyDelete