Sunday, March 7, 2010

Preschool

Amor Chiquito turns three in September. We are considering preschool. As a first-time parent, I have a lot of questions. And, as someone who over-analyzes the heck out of everything, I am considering many variables!

If you have been there or will be there soon, tell me what you are thinking!

Preschool, yes or no?

What type of preschool – public school system, private preschool, Montessori Children’s House, etc.?

When you are evaluating a potential school, what questions do you ask?

Short or long day, say 2.5 hours or a full school day?

Are you doing anything to prepare your child for the transition?

What are you expecting from preschool? What do you think it will do for your child?

What advantages do you see? What disadvantages?

What other questions/things to think about should I add to my list?

I will tell you about what I have learned thus far in another post.

Oh, by the way, holy crap, time flies! My baby… My baby is no longer a baby! “My baby” might be going to school in September!

1 comment:

  1. We started DS in a "Mother's Day Out" at 2 1/2. He LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it....and honestly, so did I! It was the perfect break to feel refreshed and also spend some quality time with DD, since they aren't even 2 years apart. In the time he's been in school so far, I can already say he's learning SO MUCH! He just goes 2 days a week, from 9am to 1pm. The only "problem" we had at first was that he was potty trained and he was a bit intimidated about going with another adult besides mommy or daddy. Or not so much going, but telling them that he had to go. But, he's learned tons, he seems so socially adjusted, he's listening to instructions by the teachers...it's great! I'm so glad that we're going it because I think the transition from 2 days a week to 3 days a week (next year) will be nothing. Then, when he goes to preschool 5 days a week when he turns 4 years old, it won't be too big of an issue!

    He really seems to enjoy his time there! And I love how much he does and how much he learns!

    The way I picked the school was by word of mouth. Then, when visiting it just seemed like a great place. I got a great feel and he went right into the class room and seemed so happy!

    ReplyDelete