Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Article: Five Benefits to Cosleeping Past Infancy

So, cosleeping and bedsharing... A controversial topic...

As I have mentioned before, I believe in doing whatever works best for your family. Currently, this is what is working for us: Ari starts out on a mattress next to our bed. Sometime in the middle of the night, her and her elephant come over. We tried transitioning her to her room. It was not the right time. I could have forced the issue, made her miserable, and given up on tons of sleep. No thank you! There are times when nothing is working and you have to do something, try something different. But sharing our bedroom works for us, so we went back to that.

Yes, she is three. Yes, before she was born, I would have never imagined that she would still be in our bedroom. Furthermore, I never thought I would be ok with this.

Life as parents has taught me over and over again that I ought to do what is right for my family, regardless of what others think. I follow my gut. I do whatever keeps my family happy and healthy. That includes both my child and my husband. Finding a balance can be difficult at times. I am not saying it's always easy! Keeping everyone happy and healthy requires lots of adjusting and lots of communication. But it is definitely worth it. Right now, we wake up to a happy child telling us stories about pretend games or her plans for the day.

So, now that I have told you all about our sleep arangements, which is not what I set out to do, here is the article I wanted to share!

http://naturalparentsnetwork.com/five-benefits-cosleeping/

1 comment:

  1. We agree with you entirely. The Boy has had his special medical needs all of his life, which means that we've never discouraged the co-sleeping thing with him. He's 3 and a half and still sleeps with us, and I enjoy every night he does. #2 doesn't sleep with us; doesn't like it for more than short periods. They just have different needs. I would sleep with both if they would let me, because I love baby snuggles. And because of the benefits of the article, of course. 8)

    ReplyDelete