Thursday, January 14, 2010

Co Sleeping: A Dad's Perspective

Check out this pro co sleeping article:
http://mannursediaries.blogspot.com/2010/01/co-sleeping-does-it-really-need-to-be.html#comment-form

The writer is a father of four and a nurse.

For what it is worth, I agree with what he is saying. Co sleeping, much like breastfeeding, is something we have done lots of, but something that is not the norm. Yes, it definitely is possible to do it safely. I did it from day one, almost!

When you become a mother, the way you sleep changes. You wake up very easily. You notice/hear things that no one else notices. You get used to sleeping on your side, with your baby's head on your arm. (Therefore, you cannot possibly roll onto baby.) And, in my case, you think it is the coolest thing on Earth! I am getting teary-eyed thinking about it! I wish I could remember more about those early days.

Different things work for different people. I am not saying that having your child sleep in her/his crib is wrong. I am simply saying, as I have said before, to do what is right, healthy, and safe for your family.

One more thing to keep in mind: what is right for your family today might be the opposite of what was right six months ago or what will be right for you in a year.

As for us, Ari naps in her crib and starts in her crib every night, but we get our precious visitor around 1:00am. Some nights are rough, but, mostly, I love it. There is nothing like feeling your little one's hand or leg on you. I cannot explain it, but when she is next to me I get this unique feeling. I want to smile. I feel like I know for sure she is safe because if she is uncomfortable/in pain, I know it immediately. I wish I could explain it better, but that is the best I can do.

Now, all I want is for her to sleep longer chunks of time and a king-size bed! Husband, you know what I want for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment