Thursday, March 31, 2011

Quinoa

A few weeks back I came across a quinoa chocolate cake recipe. I tried it and we really liked the cake. This made me very curious. What other dishes can I make with quinoa that my family might eat?

I will go ahead and admit that I had never eaten quinoa. I knew nothing about it. I had heard the name and I knew it was a whole grain. Sounds terrible, I know! What can I say? Us Puertoricans, typically, are not fans of whole grains. In fact, my relatives are often leery of trying anything I cook because they know I tend to cook with a twist, one they are not fund of!

The other day I cooked some quinoa, the way you cook white rice. No go. Ari tried it and didn’t like it. Geeky Entrepreneur is willing to try again. I am willing to keep trying until I get it right. They don’t like brown rice. Geeky Entrepreneur won’t do whole wheat pasta too often. So I feel the need to keep trying whole grain recipes until I find something that everyone loves.

I just made some quinoa kheer! Kheer is an Indian rice pudding dessert.

I found two other quinoa pudding recipes today. I will be trying them another time.

Do you have any quinoa recipes you love? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. I have made a fantastic quinoa salad, which ends up tasting a little like tabouli and a little like a pasta salad. And you can kinda put whatever you want in it, as long as you have some fresh chopped spices, some oil, and some vinegar. Mine has quinoa, olive oil, vinegar, fresh chopped mint, chopped peppers, and chopped tomatoes. You can also do yours with cilantro.

    Also, I'll take a whole chicken, put it in the oven with quinoa and water in the pan, and put vegetables on it. Cover, cook at 350 for about 2.5 hours. Uncover and cook another half hour.

    ReplyDelete