Thursday, December 30, 2010

Article from La Leche League

I was on the LLL website trying to find some information to help a friend with a newborn. Did not find what I was looking for, but I found this article:
http://www.llli.org/NB/Law45com.html

"I also realized that our society has little understanding of newborns, and does not sanction compassion for their needs or feelings. Demand nursing, as
I saw it, was no different from caring for a family member who has been rendered powerless. Would we refuse an incapacitated father a meal because it was "not time"? Or leave a paralyzed spouse alone in a room to "cry it out"--checking in every 10 minutes to say, "It's Ok"--without trying to find out what
is wrong and doing something about it? If he or she only wanted to be held, would we refuse, for fear of spoiling someone we love? How can anyone claim that legal or religious tenets require us to deny babies sustenance and comfort "in their best interests"?"

No comments:

Post a Comment