Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sippy Cups

I figured I would start by sharing our experiences with breastfeeding. Seemed like the natural thing to do. It is the #1 thing the second the baby is born, after all. But, I am worried about what sorts of chemicals are getting into our kids via sippy cups. So, lets start with sippy cups instead!

For about a year, I have had Bisphenol-A (BPA- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol-A) in my mind. I read up on it. So far as I can tell, there is no definite answer. So, just in case, I made sure that the bottles I pumped into were BPA free. The sippy cups I got Amor Chiquito are BPA-free as well.

A few days ago, for whatever reason, I decided to taste the water in her sippy cup. I was disgusted. I could not believe how horrible the water tasted. It was not water that had been sitting still in a sippy cup all day either. I had given her the sippy cup maybe half an hour earlier. The water was in a Take and Toss sippy (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2793344). I later tried drinking from a BornFree sippy (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2661899). Same thing, unfortunately. Not as bad, but still tasted weird.

I could understand water tasting weird from a Take and Toss sippy. They are very convenient, but cheap. So, one could argue they might lack in quality. BornFree, though? I paid $10 for that one sippy! Not cool!

So, what can I say?! The reluctant crunchy mama struck again!

I had come across stainless steel bottles on the website where I got Amor Chiquito's cloth diapers. The bottles sounded interesting, so I did a search on Google and found a good deal.

So, Klean Kanteen bottles… They are made of stainless steel. Nothing gets into your water. They are easy to clean and dishwasher safe. You can clean them quickly with vinegar and baking soda. Wide enough mouths, in case you want to put ice cubes in there. They come in several sizes: 12oz bottle with sippy adapter, 18oz, 27oz, and 40oz. They are available in the original stainless steel finish and in several other colors: pink, blue, green, orange, black and a few others…

They range in price from around $10 to $22. The 12oz with the sippy adopter is $15.95 if it is a specific color and $14 if you get it with the stainless steel finish.

Unfortunately, these are pricey. But, if you think about it, if you often buy cases of bottled water, the Klean Kanteens will pay for themselves in no time. It is an investment. For me, knowing that we are not putting who knows what in our bodies is worth it.

I got 2 27oz bottles for the grownups, a 40oz for when we are on the road, and I'll be getting the 12oz sippy for Amor Chiquito tonight. I had not tried water from her sippy until after I ordered ours. I am looking forward to getting hers, though. When I do, I'll let you know if the sippy adapter works well. Good reviews from customers on the website, though, so I have a feeling it will work well.

I'll have you know, I got me a pink bottle! This is, of course, a very important topic I must write about! You see, my husband kept stealing my old plastic bottle! And, I figured, and I know I'm right because he admitted it, that he would not want to be seen in public with a pink bottle! Amor Chiquito loved stealing it, too! In fact, she even broke it; she hit the floor with it many times, until it broke! And, that was her daddy's fault because he was reading his scifi book instead of watching her! And, no, I'm not bitter!

Actually, great move, Crazy Entrepreneur! You gave me just the excuse I needed to get a new bottle of water! You had no idea what you were getting into! Before you knew it, I spent $50 on 3 stainless steel bottles! Poor man! And, as if that was not bad enough, I saw hammocks on that website! So, what can I say?! I have new ideas! Wouldn't a hammock on our porch be cool and comfie?!

So, back to what really matters… Below is a link to where I got our Klean Kanteens. By the way, if you think you might want a few, you'll get free shipping if you spend $50.
http://www.backcountryedge.com/klean_kanteen-water-treatment-bottles-and-hydration.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love Kleen Kanteens, but we can't afford them yet...heeheehee
    And I used to have a hammock in our old apartment, so you should go for it! I was able to get a cheap 50 ish dollar hammock stand, which I later sold, otherwise it would have been yours!
    Are you by any chance interested in an outdoor rocking chair????

    ReplyDelete