Sunday, April 24, 2011

What did she say?!

Wow, my blog has been neglected! No posts in two weeks. Amor Chiquito has been home for almost ten days (spring break). She was also home for a few days the week before spring break because of an evil stomach bug.

So, where to start? Let’s start with the fun stuff!

The other day Amor Chiquito handed her dad something and said something like “Daddy, please hold this. I have a lot of things to do.”

What? Excuse me?! Lots of things to do?! Thanks for the laugh, kid!

The other day Amor Chiquito wanted to go to the park. I did not want to go. It was very windy outside. I had made plans to go visit my mother instead. The conversation went something like this:

Ari: Mommy, I want to go to the park.

Me: We are not going to the park right now.

Ari: Why?

Me: It is very windy outside. I don’t want to be cold! We will go another day. We are going to grandma’s house.

Ari: But I really want to go to the park.

Me: I understand that you want to go to the park. We will go tomorrow. Today we are going to have fun at grandma’s.

Repeat that exchange a few times…

Ari: Mommy, I really really want to go to the park.

Me: Ari, I feel like you are not listening. We are going to grandma’s today and we will go to the park tomorrow.

Ari: Mommy, I feel like you are not listening. I want to go to the park.

A few minutes later…

Ari: I want to go to the park.

Me: I am done talking about the park.

Ari: I am done talking about grandma’s house.

So, then what?!

I can’t get mad at her! She is modeling my actions and statements. That’s what kids do! She was not yelling. She was not being rude. She was saying what she hears me say. I felt like she was being a smart ass! But she really wasn’t.

I have been uncertain as to how to handle this. We could go on and on about what we want and what we are actually going to do for ever. Her and I could compete for the Most Persistent award for quite a long time!

My husband and my friend shared some ideas. I will share those another time. In the meantime, tell me, what would you do? What would you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment