Friday, March 27, 2009

Do we really have things to complain about?

I just came across this blog: http://spencer-crystal5.blogspot.com/

This family's little one just passed away. He was 8 months old. Dad picked him up to bring him to mom to nurse. He was not breathing. They did CPR, but it was too late. The cause of death is still not known. Apparently, there are no signs of any medical condition. But, clearly, something went wrong.

I don't know what to say or think. If I was in those parents' shoes, I have no idea how I would go on with my life. They have 4 older kids. How do you explain such a thing to the older siblings? Just, how do you go on after such a loss? Why do these things happen? If this baby had a medical condition, why could not there be signs so that the parents could have sought medical help?

So many thoughts right now… I wish I could do something. But, there is nothing I could do. Nothing is bringing that little baby back.

Sometimes, it feels like parenting is so hard. We have had sleeping issues for about a year now. I am so exhausted. For months, she would not eat well. Reading the blog mentioned above reminds me that I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The fact that she woke up 3 times in one hour last night because she was hot is nothing, absolutely nothing to complain about. The fact that teething gives us a few rough nights almost every month is nothing. Yes, parenting is hard at times. Yes, I am incredibly tired sometimes. Yes, I have a really hard time keeping up with school. Yes, I often do a pathetic job when it comes to keeping up with the house. But, thus far, our daughter appears to be healthy. That is priceless. Let's stop and think next time we are about to open our mouths to complain about things that are not worth complaining about.

No comments:

Post a Comment